'"Got any spare change love?" Hardly the words you want to hear from the future father of your children,' says Madeleine, 'and yet loads of us seem happy to date spongers, men who can't seem to rustle up enough money for a latte, nevermind a lasting relationship.'
'But he's a struggling artist. His band is his life. He's not into material things. He's following his dream. Really? Isn't it funny how so many blokes who live on fresh air actually have generous girlfriends? He might have renounced capitalism but he doesn't seem to have a problem with you paying his bills.
'He can only indulge his interests whilst he's got someone to bankroll them. Do you really want to be handing over his beer money when you've got a mortgage, childcare and food to pay for too? Beware of signing up for a life of heavy responsibility with little support. Believe me, when you're 50 and still living in a manky bedsit together, the appeal of unusual sex and a bit of guitar playing will have long worn off.'
It might sound mercenary, but she says, 'Don't get me wrong. Money can't buy you love. And dating someone based on their bank balance is about as shallow as you can get. But there's a big difference between gold digging and expecting your partner to pull his financial weight.' What was it Mae West said? "Love conquers all except poverty and toothache."
Vote for your Influential Woman on International Women's Day
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson, UPA and president, Indian National Congress392 votes
- Angela Merke, Politician85 votes
- Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal135 votes
- Michelle Obama, US First Lady58 votes
- J Jayalalithaa, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu185 votes
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Political leader69 votes
- Hilary Rodham Clinton, Politician84 votes
- Kiran Bedi, Social activist and retired IPS officer698 votes
- Oprah Winfrey, Media mogul93 votes
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Pro-democracy leader220 votes
- Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge30 votes
- Nita Ambani, Educationist and entrepreneur46 votes
- Lady Gaga, Musician36 votes
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Actor285 votes
- Anna Wintour, Journalist5 votes
- Arianna Huffington, Media mogul6 votes
- Beyoncé Knowles, Musician12 votes
- Kareena Kapoor, Actor58 votes
- J. K. Rowling, Novelist91 votes
- Katrina Kaif, Actor237 votes