It might sound harsh to say 'Don't date somebody with depression,' but Madeleine has both been there herself and lived with somebody who was depressed, and in her words 'It sucks'.
She says, 'I'm not saying that depression doesn't deserve empathy and I'm certainly not advocating you ditch a partner who finds himself depressed. In fact it's at times like those that he'll need you the most, but there's a big difference between dating someone who becomes depressed and choosing to date somebody who is already in the dark depths of depression from the outset.'
She goes on, 'Depression is an incredibly frustrating disease, unlike any other ailment, depression gets to the very heart of who you are. It skews your perspective of the world, making everything seem bleak, difficult or hopeless. But most of all, it makes you incredibly selfish.
'Your mind is constantly occupied with your own thoughts and doubts. Other people in your life become secondary to the depression because you feel so overwhelmed by its power. There's no cheering up to be done. There's no pulling yourself together.'
'Some women are drawn to depressives because they seem so dark and mysterious,' she explains, 'Women want to mother them, take care of them, cheer them up. Perhaps I can reach him? Maybe all he needs is a good listener?' Maybe I'll be the one to make him happy when all other women have failed? Perhaps you will. But it's a huge risk and are you sure you want to take it?'
Vote for your Influential Woman on International Women's Day
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson, UPA and president, Indian National Congress392 votes
- Angela Merke, Politician85 votes
- Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal135 votes
- Michelle Obama, US First Lady58 votes
- J Jayalalithaa, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu185 votes
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Political leader69 votes
- Hilary Rodham Clinton, Politician84 votes
- Kiran Bedi, Social activist and retired IPS officer698 votes
- Oprah Winfrey, Media mogul93 votes
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Pro-democracy leader220 votes
- Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge30 votes
- Nita Ambani, Educationist and entrepreneur46 votes
- Lady Gaga, Musician36 votes
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Actor285 votes
- Anna Wintour, Journalist5 votes
- Arianna Huffington, Media mogul6 votes
- Beyoncé Knowles, Musician12 votes
- Kareena Kapoor, Actor58 votes
- J. K. Rowling, Novelist91 votes
- Katrina Kaif, Actor237 votes