Mr Liar Liar Pants on Fire
We've all told the odd porkie in our relationships: ('Yes, I love your 'special' spag-bol recipe' and 'No, I don't fancy James McAvoy,') but some men take it a step further.
Madeleine says, 'Deception may seem small-fry in comparison to verbal or physical poundings, but there's something intensely sinister about a bloke who can't or won't tell the truth. Past conquests, current lives, jobs, exes, money, qualifications, feelings, experiences - Mr. Liar Liar can fabricate fantasies about pretty much anything.
The odd little white lie might seem harmless, but as Madeleine points out, 'Some lies are huge - denying you've got kids is a major one - some lies are tiny - saying you've seen a film which you haven't - but the impulse is the same.'
She adds, 'If it goes on long enough, dating Mr Liar Liar will leave you doubting your own judgement, untrusting, and constantly cynical about people's motives.'
Vote for your Influential Woman on International Women's Day
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson, UPA and president, Indian National Congress392 votes
- Angela Merke, Politician85 votes
- Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal135 votes
- Michelle Obama, US First Lady58 votes
- J Jayalalithaa, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu185 votes
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Political leader69 votes
- Hilary Rodham Clinton, Politician84 votes
- Kiran Bedi, Social activist and retired IPS officer698 votes
- Oprah Winfrey, Media mogul93 votes
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Pro-democracy leader220 votes
- Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge30 votes
- Nita Ambani, Educationist and entrepreneur46 votes
- Lady Gaga, Musician36 votes
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Actor285 votes
- Anna Wintour, Journalist5 votes
- Arianna Huffington, Media mogul6 votes
- Beyoncé Knowles, Musician12 votes
- Kareena Kapoor, Actor58 votes
- J. K. Rowling, Novelist91 votes
- Katrina Kaif, Actor237 votes