Tips on throwing a Diwali party
Spend a good part of your Diwali morning at a flower shop, buying flowers to adorn your house. The heady fragrance of the flowers will hold you under a spell. Buy flowers in dozens- the choicest roses, lilies, jasmines and string string them into garlands. It will lend a spiritual enchantment to the puja. Put some flowers in glasses, pen-stands, glasses or almost anything that would enhance the beauty of your house.
* Get away on your own for gift shopping- and ask a stranger for help with the choosing. Before you know it, you will have made more new friends in a few hours than you can count on both hands.
* Add your own signature motif to all the gifts going out from your family this year. Choose a relevant motif-perhaps a peacock feather for color and good luck.
* Make Diwali bonfires your reason to make sunset-viewing mandatory for the whole family. Everyone has to be on the terrace, on time- no excuses allowed. Bring up tea, snacks and sherbet on trays, or make a picnic of it.
* Who says mehendi is for just weddings? Using this beautiful body art to accentuate party outfits- a pretty paisley (it need not be elaborate) instantly puts you in the celebratory mood. You can also throw a "mehendi afternoon" for friends. Sit out in the sun with spicy munches and tangy drinks.
* Hang up a bell at the entrance to your house. Let the visitors ring it instead of the electric door-chime. The naturally melodious tone gives every arrival that "puja-festive" feeling.
* Rangoli is the ritual that people like to follow, but find cumbersome. For a simple version, soak rice in different colors overnight; dry in sun the next day. Trace the design with wet chalk and simply fill in colored rice.
* Go for marigold this year. Dress up your home in gold and green (money plants for luck). String curtain rings, hang from ceilings and wreath lights.
* Instead of the mandatory nut-and -dried-fruit, why not gift family, friends, neighbors a pretty tray of spices this year? Order superior quality cardamom, vanilla and pepper online. Arrange in a pretty tray or tie in a bundle with a ribbon bow; seal with cling-wrap to give away. If you can add more exotic aromatics and make a really large box of it, why not get them all arrayed in a lightweight custom-made tray with a fitted glass cover? That way, your friends and relatives have the option of proudly framing it to hang up above their dining table for extra savor at meal times.
Source: India Syndicate