Recipe: Badam halwa
Badam (almond) halwa
1/2 cup almonds (soaked overnight)
1/3 cup milk
4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cardamom (optional)
3 tbsp Ghee
For the garnish: 2 to 3 almonds, peeled and sliced
1. Pour a cup of boiling water over the over-night soaked almonds, and leave aside for a few minutes.
2. Drain out the water and skin the almonds.
3. Grind the almonds with about 5 tbsp. of milk into a smooth paste.
4. Heath the ghee in a non-stick pan, add the pureed almonds. Cook over slow flame, stirring continuously until the mixture changes colour to a hue of golden brown.
5. Add the remaining milk, in addition to about 5 tbsp. of water and cook for a few minutes.
6. Add the sugar, and cardamom powder (if desired) and cook till all the sugar has dissolves, as you continue to stir.
7. Garnish with some thinly sliced almonds and serve hot.
Here's to happy festivity!